Who We Are
A Brief History...
Weldon Public Library was established by the Weldon Woman’s Club in the fall of 1922. Its humble first home was one shelf in the grocery store. Books were donated by the public and could be borrowed during a two hour period on Saturday only. The library moved from store to store until it found a more permanent home in a portion of the brick Village Hall building in 1932. In 1935, the library was moved to a building donated by Nixon Township for the exclusive use of the library. The library became a township tax supported library in April of 1943. Growth dictated another move to an even larger building on Main Street in February of 1968.
A new modern designed library was constructed, with the help of the Lion’s Club, in 1994. The Open House was held on October 23, 1994. The Nixon Township Public Library grew once more in July of 1996 when it became the Weldon Public Library district. The district now included all of the Deland-Weldon school district within DeWitt County. A 75th Anniversary Open House was held in April of 1997. The library continues to grow in holdings and patrons.
Over the 85 years of service to the community, the library grew from a Village Library to a Township Library to the Library District of today. During that time the library has had twelve librarians and fifty different trustees. One of the first librarians in the Woman’s Club was honored for her 43 years of service to the library and the public in 1968.