Rules for Using Public Access Computers
Policy No. 8
Rules for Using Public Access Computers
Any and all users of the public access computers will agree to abide by the following rules:
1. Library rules must be obeyed at all times. (See Policy No. 1)
2. Patrons must check-in at the Circulation Desk before using the computer.
3. Downloading, copying or installing other software programs onto the hard drive is prohibited.
4. If you wish to save a file, you may purchase a CD-R disc at the Circulation Desk for $.75; patrons may also check out a flash drive for transferring material from library computers to home.
5. Printing is allowed at a fee of $.10 per page for B & W and $.25 per page for color.
6. There is a 30-minute limit for computer use if others are waiting.
7. Patrons will be responsible for any repair or replacement costs incurred due to intentional misuse or abuse of equipment or software by themselves or by minors for whom they are responsible.
8. All copyright laws will be adhered to by all computer users.
9. Patrons must be at least 10 years of age to use computers without parental supervision; the game computer can be accessed by patrons at least 7 years old without parents supervision.
1. The library is not responsible for the content of any materials accessed through the Internet. Parents or guardians, NOT the library or its staff, are responsible for the Internet information selected and/or accessed by their children. Parental supervision of children searching the Internet is advised.
2. The computers in the library are not equipped with filtering software allowing all web
Sites to be accessible.
3. The library has no control of the Internet and its resources, and assumes no responsibility for the quality, accuracy, or currency of any Internet resource.
4. The Internet may contain material of a controversial nature. Viewing of certain materials in the public library may be considered improper in time, place or manner.
5. Patrons observed performing illegal acts (viewing child pornography, attempting identity theft, etc.) will be reported to law enforcement officials.
5. Users who are 10 -18 years of age, must have a signed Parental Consent Form on file, or have parental supervision.
7. Students, under 10 years of age may only use the Internet with parental supervision.
8. Misuse or abuse of any of the guidelines listed above may lead to suspension or
termination of computer privileges at the library.
9. The library reserves the right to end an Internet session at any time.
Approved: 05/15/01 Revised: 05/18/04 ___________________
Reviewed: 05/17/05 Reviewed: 01/17/06
Revised: 04/24/07 Revised: 11/20/07
Revised: 05/20/08 Reviewed: 01/20/09
Revised: 11/17/09 Revised: 10/26/10
Revised: 10/18/11 Reviewed: 10/26/12
Attachment #1 to Policy 8
Internet Wireless Access (Wi-Fi) Policy
The Weldon Public Library offers free wireless access to the Internet via wireless fidelity of “Wi-Fi” at the library. This service allows patrons to access the Internet using their own laptop computer or Personal Digital Assistant (PDA’s).
The Library District’s public wireless network is open to anyone who agrees to abide by the Library’s “Rules for Using Public Access Computers” and “Internet Rules”. This policy prohibits abusive, offensive and illegal activities while inside the facility or while using the Library’s Internet connection from outside of the facility.
The Library District’s wireless Internet access service is unfiltered. By choosing to use this free service, patrons agree to abide by all applicable Library District Policies. (Rules for Using Public Access Computers/Internet Parental Consent). Library patrons will need to provide their own equipment with an installed Wi-Fi network card. Library staff can verify that the wireless network is operating, but they cannot troubleshoot problems related to the patron’s hardware, software or configurations. Please note that the Library cannot guarantee a particular device will work with the Library’s access points.
Wi-Fi users do not need to have a library card to access the wireless hotspots. In addition, no special encryption settings, user names or passwords are required. Patrons will not have access to the Library printers through the Wi-Fi connection. To print, work should be saved to a disk or e-mailed to the patron’s account and then accessed on a device that is connected to a printer.
At this time, the Wi-Fi connection is available 24/7. The speed of the service will be slower during times when more people are using the connection. Wi-Fi users should not unplug any other library equipment to plug in their own devices. Users should ask a staff member for assistance in locating an available outlet.
Patrons should take appropriate precautions when using this service. Wi-Fi users assume all risks and responsibilities associated with using the Library District’s hotspots. The Library is not liable for any consequences of wireless network access including: loss of data, transmission of computer viruses and the interception of sensitive data. The Library recommends Wi-Fi users provide anti-virus protection and appropriate security settings on their own equipment.
Attachment #2 to Policy 8
Weldon Public Library District
Internet Parental Consent
As the parent or guardian of
I give permission for my child to use the Internet computer(s) at the Weldon Public Library District, with the understanding that I am responsible for monitoring my child’s appropriate use of this service and will take full responsibility for any damage, misuse or abuse that may occur.
I have read and agree with the rules set forth by the library regarding computer/Internet use.
Parent/Guardian Signature Date